Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Witchblade Back again



Aha, after some time off, and after a post about a video game, and another post about a video game, and a post about a TV show, I get to return once again to my bread and butter: Comic books. I don't think any of you really understand just how much I subsist on comic books, I mean, basically I can't get through the week with out downing one comic book. It used to be that I wouldn't be able to make it through the day, but once I got over that addiction, I was able to have a fairly average life.

But I digress back to the Topic at hand. So, as you know, I'm the resident occult fanboy here, so it's not all that surprising that Witchblade is my pick of the blog this month. There's not a whole lot particularly occulty about Witchblade, I mean despite the fact that the witchblade is an extention of the Angelus and the Angelus stands in direct opposition to the Darkness, who gets his power from, well, demons, the Witchblade is the balancing force in this game of light and dark. Well it was until somehow Pezzini got all knocked up by the darkness and there was this big old fight with the angelus over it in the spin-off miniseries "Firstborn."

Some of you nerdy types out there might be saying, "But wait, didn't Pezzini lose the Witchblade, how could you possibly be telling me that Pezinni was knocked up by the Darkness and the Angelus actually cared?" Well, fello comic fans, turns out, the Witchblade and the Darkness both felt the urge to breed and so, without their wielders' knowledge, they got it on.



Sure, doesn't make sense, but well, with Dani possessing the Witchblade, the story was going downhill anyway, so I'm glad they revived it. But Basically, in order to save her baby from being a pawn in that little game between the dark and the light, Dani's witchblade split in half and some of it returned to Pezzini, thereby creating 2 wielders...unless you happen to be counting and remember there's that one galavanting around Asia, in which case there is three, but we're not going there, since like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there's technically only supposed to be one, but somehow there's 2000....

But that's another story for another time, maybe after I few posts I'll be able to get into that one with you, but let's get back to this story, shall we?

So, yeah, basically, after all the crap that happens in Firstborn, which was a beautiful comic series really, Pezzini comes back in full force to start investigating a series of really weird murders around town, and little do they know it, but Dani and her new boy toy are all caught up in it. Well, really it's all Dani's boy toy, but he apparently has plans for her and her witchblade....



Thankfully, they kept on the artists from the Firstborn set, which made me all giggley like a schoolgirl when I saw that, and I have not been able to put this thing down since. I mean look at it...it's all....shiney.

So, yes, I give this comic an A for story line and an A for art. Oh, and an A for research because they definitely got their early christian history right on, which made me smile.

No comments: